CVSA Brake Safety Week: 10 Tips on Brake Linings and Pads
- August 3, 2023
- Posted by: Rachel GoDaddy
- Categories: DOT Compliance, Fleet Safety, Uncategorized
Gear Up For Brake Safety Week: August 20-26, 2023
The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) Brake Safety Week is swiftly approaching, set to run from August 20-26, 2023. Brake Safety Week brings commercial motor vehicle (CMV) inspectors together to emphasize the vital role of brake systems. Inspectors will conduct inspections of CMV brake system components and remove any vehicles found with brake-related out-of-service violations from our roadways. This event is a reminder that safety and compliance are inextricably linked.
10 Tips for Maintaining Brake Linings and Pads
The focus of this year’s Brake Safety Week is on the condition of the brake lining and pad. Any issue with these components could result in vehicle violations, potentially affecting a motor carrier’s safety rating. Here are some tips from commercial motor vehicle inspectors to help ensure your brake linings and pads have no issues during a roadside inspection.
- Inspect visible portions of the brake lining and pads as part of your pre- and post-trip inspections.
- Look for signs of missing lining, such as grooves in the drum from rivet contact.
- Look at the shoe-to-drum clearance and ensure there is adequate lining on the shoe.
- Look for any signs of leaks from the hub or other components that may be contaminating the lining/pad surface.
- Ensure there are no missing lining blocks.
- Check for visible cracks or voids in the lining block.
- Check for any exposed rivets or lining blocks that look loose on the shoe.
- On disc brakes, pay particular attention to the condition of the rotor, such as heavily rusted rotors across the entire friction surface on either side or metal- to-metal contact.
- Make sure all repairs are consistent with the brake manufacturer’s requirements and guidelines.
- Note any issues in your driver vehicle inspection reports and report them to the motor carrier to have the defective linings/pads repaired.
Your Path to Compliance
RiskWise Safety Consulting is here to help your fleet navigate the complexities of DOT Compliance and Fleet Safety, including CVSA Brake Safety Week. Contact us to learn how we can help you enhance your fleet’s safety and compliance, and effectively prepare for this important safety-focused event.